Welcome back to our weekly event, Friday Foodie Fix. This is where you link up your gluten free recipes each week that contain the Secret Ingredient!
You will also find each week there will be loads of information on that ingredient so even if you don’t have any recipes to share, you’ll gather some useful information.
Make sure you check back to see what recipes have been added.
This week’s secret ingredient is Apple.
Apples are one of those foods where that old saying has a lot of science behind it. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Apples have 4 grams of fiber per medium apple for only 9r calories. They are a good source of immune boosting Vitamin C and antioxidant pectin. It’s been shown that those who ate an apple a day lost weight and had a lower risk of strokes and heart disease. If you’re looking for something to eat before you exercise, try an apple. It’s been shown to boost your exercise endurance.
How to Buy
Look for firm, crisp, well colored skin. While you’re picking it up give it a good whiff. Yes smell it. It should have a bit of an aroma.
How to Store
Store your apples on the countertop. We have a large apple bowl filled each week. If you’re not going to be eating them very soon store them in the refrigerator.
So how many different varieties can you name? Everyone usually has their favorite. Mine is a Winesap. When I was a kid we would go to the orchard and get a bushel every fall. Love those apples. These are great apples to bake as they retain their flavor. They are also good for making apple sauce, tarts, pies, and cobblers.
Last Week’s Favorite Links
J and Me shared Roasted Chicken Breasts with Lemony Bombay Potatoes
Tess the Domestic Diva shared Paleo Warm Chicken BLT Salad and Simple Vietnamese Grilled Chicken
Linking up Guidelines
- Share your own recipe using the Secret Ingredient. This must be your recipe, not copied from someone else. If you were inspired by another recipe you MUST ALWAYS note that in your recipe.
- Link the URL of your Specific Individual Recipe Post, NOT to your home page.
- Please link back to this post, not a static page so your readers can find the recipes here.
- When you link, please tell us what you’re sharing.
- This is a Gluten Free Resource so please make sure you share gluten free recipes.
- Recipes do not need to be brand new on your blog, just your own and contain the Secret Ingredient.
- There is no limit to how many times you can post on any given Secret Ingredient, just Link Back.
- Please use the FFF icon in your post and feel free to add it to your sidebar! Here’s the code: <a href=”http://www.thewholegang.org/” target=”_blank”><img src=”http://www.thewholegang.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/FFF-thewholegang.jpg” width=261 height=256 border=0></a>
Friday Foodie Fix will be taking a break as I move to Santa Monica and get settled in. I can’t wait to find some great foods in the farmers market to share with you.
Fill up on apple recipes this week!
Now it’s your turn to share your gluten free recipes with apples below.
Apples are my very favorite! But usually I just eat them as is or with almond butter or peanut butter. Did you know that apples also have tremendous "wake-up" powder? No caffeine in them obviously, but I've used them myself to wake me up on car trips. They really work! Anyway, I did link up my Easy Crustless Apple Pie (no need to ever, ever make a crust–or double crust–for an apple pie again) and Popeye Protein and Fruit Bars. I've even made the pie grain free, dairy free, and refined sugar free and it's still fabulous! 🙂
Happy Friday and safe travels to your new home, Diane!
Wow! The big move is happening. Well, welcome to California.!! You are going to rock Santa Monica (and all of Cali's awesome produce). Have a safe move. Look forward to your updates. 🙂
This week I am sharing three recipes containing the secret ingredient: apple. Ah, looking forward to fall
Thinking of you…
Thanks for choosing my Roasted Chicken Breasts with Lemony Bombay Potatoes as a favourite last week! Good luck on your move. 🙂
Lisa that recipe looks great, eacy pick. Thank you for good wishes. Going well so far.
Hi Diane – One thing I love about Fall is that its also apple season around here.. thanks for the wonderful ideas!!
Agreed, love apple season!
Hi Diane – thanks for the reminder about all the wonderful things to do with apples. I eat em year round, but always forget how many wonderful apple dishes there are. Thanks for the inspiration!
Mary, thank you for stopping by. Let me know if you try any of these apple recipes.