Welcome back to our weekly event, Friday Foodie Fix. This is where you link up your gluten free recipes each week that contain the Secret Ingredient!
You will also find each week there will be loads of information on that ingredient so even if you don’t have any recipes to share, you’ll gather some useful information.
Make sure you check back to see what recipes have been added.
This week’s secret ingredient is Blueberries.
Blueberries have 30 calories per cup and cause a slow increase in blood sugar which helps to feel full and lead to a large release of insulin. They also contain the same substance that in cranberries helps to treat urinary tract infections. Blueberries also contain several anthocyanins, potent antioxidants that help reduce inflammation and may also cur the growth of cancer cells. They ran among the highest in overall antioxidant power. Just 3.5 ounces provide the equivalent antioxidant capacity of five servings of some other fruits and vegetables. As with most berries they are part of the dirty dozen so if at all possible buy these organic and if you can find wild even better!
How to Buy
You’ll want to find the freshest blueberries you can. I love to find these at the farmers markets or like I used to eat them as a kid where you can pick them yourself.
How to Store
Don’t wash until you are ready to use. They don’t last long before they start to deteriorate. They will also keep better in the refrigerator.
Blueberries taste the best at room temperature. Let them sit out for before you serve them. Also when you find those beautiful organic blueberries at a great price buy lots, put them onto a tray and freeze then pour the frozen berried into a bag and store to use after blueberry season.
Last Week’s Favorite Links
The Tasty Alternative shared Lasagna-Vegan & Grain Free
Gluten-Free Cat shared Raw Curried Chard Wraps
Gluten Free Happy Tummy shared Potato Galette with Red Pepper Cream Sauce (vegan, gluten free, body ecology diet)
Linking up Guidelines
- Share your own recipe using the Secret Ingredient. This must be your recipe, not copied from someone else. If you were inspired by another recipe you MUST ALWAYS note that in your recipe.
- Link the URL of your Specific Individual Recipe Post, NOT to your home page.
- Please link back to this post, not a static page so your readers can find the recipes here.
- When you link, please tell us what you’re sharing.
- This is a Gluten Free Resource so please make sure you share gluten free recipes.
- Recipes do not need to be brand new on your blog, just your own and contain the Secret Ingredient.
- There is no limit to how many times you can post on any given Secret Ingredient, just Link Back.
- Please use the FFF icon in your post and feel free to add it to your sidebar! Here’s the code: <a href=”http://www.thewholegang.org/” target=”_blank”><img src=”http://www.thewholegang.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/FFF-thewholegang.jpg” width=261 height=256 border=0></a>
Next Week’s Secret Ingredient for Friday Foodie Fix is … Swiss Chard!
Now it’s your turn to share your gluten free recipes with blueberries below.
Oooh, sweet! Thanks so much for highlighting my Raw Swiss Chard Wraps! I'm honored!!
My favorite way to eat blueberries is by the fistful! Thanks for choosing such a perfect secret ingredient! I've linked up my Wild Rice and Blueberry Salad.
Happy Friday, Diane!
Hi Diane! Thank you so much for highlighting my Potato Galette recipe! What a fun carnival! Unfortunately, I'm not sharing a recipe this week, as I cannot eat blueberries — or any fruit! — on the Body Ecology Diet…it's an anti-Candida, NO sugar diet….but I'll be back next week for swiss chard! yay! thanks again! have a wonderful weekend!
Thank you for featuring my lasagna. Great picks this week. 🙂
I've been looking forward to this week's blueberry link up.
I'm sharing blueberry lemon cupcakes and a berry beet smoothie.
Have a beautiful weekend.
I shared my blueberry buckwheat donuts!
Blueberries are one of my favorite things about summer! I posted my blueberry sorbet, and oldie but a goodie. I have made it twice this month already!
Have a wonderful weekend, Diane.