You will also find each week there will be loads of information on that ingredient so even if you don’t have any recipes to share, you’ll gather some useful information.
Make sure you check back to see what recipes have been added.
This week’s secret ingredient is Watermelons.
Here are some juicy facts about watermelon. First it’s made up of 90% liquid. It is high in Vitamin C, A, the potent carotenoid antioxidant lycopene, vitamin B6 and a good source of vitamin B1, magnesium, and potassium
When choosing a whole watermelon, look for one that is heavy for its size with a rind that is relatively smooth and that is neither overly shiny nor overly dull. In addition, one side of the melon should have an area that is distinct in color from the rest of the rind, displaying a yellowish or creamy tone. This is the underbelly, the place that was resting on the ground during ripening, and if the fruit does not have this marking, it may have been harvested prematurely, which will negatively affect its taste, texture and juiciness.
How to Store
If the watermelon is whole you can leave it out on the counter-top but once you cut into it store it in the refrigerator. It will usually last 3-5 days if it’s kept cold.
Wash the watermelon before cutting it! If you want to dive deeper into watermelon, check out this website National Watermelon Promotion Board.
Last Week’s Favorite Links
Pink Peony Style shared Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms
J and Me – Cooking Jamie shared Garden Fresh Pizza
Linking up Guidelines
- Share your own recipe using the Secret Ingredient. This must be your recipe, not copied from someone else. If you were inspired by another recipe you MUST ALWAYS note that in your recipe.
- Link the URL of your Specific Individual Recipe Post, NOT to your home page.
- Please link back to this post, not a static page so your readers can find the recipes here.
- When you link, please tell us what you’re sharing.
- This is a Gluten Free Resource so please make sure you share gluten free recipes.
- Recipes do not need to be brand new on your blog, just your own and contain the Secret Ingredient.
- There is no limit to how many times you can post on any given Secret Ingredient, just Link Back.
- Please use the FFF icon in your post and feel free to add it to your sidebar! Here’s the code: <a href=”http://www.thewholegang.org/” target=”_blank”><img src=”http://www.thewholegang.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/FFF-thewholegang.jpg” width=261 height=256 border=0></a>
Next Week’s Secret Ingredient for Friday Foodie Fix is ……. Green Peppers!
Now it’s your turn to share your gluten free recipes with watermelon below.