You will also find each week there will be loads of information on that ingredient so even if you don’t have any recipes to share, you’ll gather some useful information.
Make sure you check back to see what recipes have been added.
This week’s secret ingredient is Edible Flowers.
There are tons of edible flowers. I found this chart of 65 different flowers and a small list of ones not to eat. Before you head out to the garden and start picking flowers to eat, look over this extensive chart on poisonous flowers.
You can use flowers as a decoration or as the main dish. Just remember if you put it on a plate it should be safe. One of my favorites is the Zucchini Squash Blossom.
My favorite places to buy edible flowers are the farmer’s market or picking them from my garden. You really want to make sure you know if anything has been sprayed on these flowers just like anything else you eat. Look for bright fresh flowers and no little white bugs still eating their meal.
How to Store
You can store edible flowers in your refrigerator, just not where it will freeze them. If they have stems on them you can place them into water. Make sure they have good air circulation.
Start with flowers you already know as culinary foods and work slowly up from there. Try saffron, thyme, arugula, lavender, lemon verbena, squash blossoms, violets or nasturtium pictured here. People can have allergies to flowers too so go slow.
Last Week’s Favorite Links
gluten free easily shared Lemon Lime Coconut Basil Ice
Linking up Guidelines
- Share your own recipe using the Secret Ingredient. This must be your recipe, not copied from someone else. If you were inspired by another recipe you MUST ALWAYS note that in your recipe.
- Link the URL of your Specific Individual Recipe Post, NOT to your home page.
- Please link back to this post, not a static page so your readers can find the recipes here.
- When you link, please tell us what you’re sharing.
- This is a Gluten Free Resource so please make sure you share gluten free recipes.
- Recipes do not need to be brand new on your blog, just your own and contain the Secret Ingredient.
- There is no limit to how many times you can post on any given Secret Ingredient, just Link Back.
- Please use the FFF icon in your post and feel free to add it to your sidebar! Here’s the code: <a href=”http://www.thewholegang.org/” target=”_blank”><img src=”http://www.thewholegang.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/FFF-thewholegang.jpg” width=261 height=256 border=0></a>
Next Week’s Secret Ingredient for Friday Foodie Fix is … Watermelon!
Now it’s your turn to share your gluten free recipes with edible flowers below.