You will also find each week there will be loads of information on that ingredient so even if you don’t have any recipes to share, you’ll gather some useful information.
Make sure you check back to see what recipes have been added.
This week’s secret ingredient is Summer Squash!
There are many varieties of summer squash. I like the yellow Constricted Neck variety but there are also Scallop or Patty Pan and Cylindrical to club-shaped Italian marrows. Because they are the relative of the Zucchini, their nutrition facts are the same.
How to Buy
Summer squash are harvested when they are small and the skins are still tender. They also have the best taste when small so stick with small summer squash. Stay away from soft however, they still need to have substance.
How to Store
Store the squash in your refrigerator until ready to use. At that point wash and dry them before preparing your dish. Don’t keep them for too long, as it doesn’t take long for them to deteriorate.
Summer squash can be grilled, steamed, boiled, sauteed, fried or used in stir fry recipes. I love them tossed into a pan with other summer vegetables like tomatoes, zucchini, peppers and onions and lots of basil or rosemary. If you add a little protein like quinoa pasta you have a complete meal.
Last Week’s Favorite Links
Gluten-Free Homemaker shared Cucumber Lemonade
gluten free easily shared Cucumber Chickpea Bruschetta
The Tasty Alternative shared Pesto Stuffed Cucumbers
Linking up Guidelines
- Share your own recipe using the Secret Ingredient. This must be your recipe, not copied from someone else. If you were inspired by another recipe you MUST ALWAYS note that in your recipe.
- Link the URL of your Specific Individual Recipe Post, NOT to your home page.
- Please link back to this post, not a static page so your readers can find the recipes here.
- When you link, please tell us what you’re sharing.
- This is a Gluten Free Resource so please make sure you share gluten free recipes.
- Recipes do not need to be brand new on your blog, just your own and contain the Secret Ingredient.
- There is no limit to how many times you can post on any given Secret Ingredient, just Link Back.
- Please use the FFF icon in your post and feel free to add it to your sidebar! Here’s the code: <a href=”http://www.thewholegang.org/” target=”_blank”><img src=”http://www.thewholegang.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/FFF-thewholegang.jpg” width=261 height=256 border=0></a>
Next Week’s Secret Ingredient for Friday Foodie Fix is … Tomato!
Now it’s your turn to share your gluten free recipes with summer squash below.