You will also find each week there will be loads of information on that ingredient so even if you don’t have any recipes to share, you’ll gather some useful information.
Make sure you check back to see what recipes have been added.
This week’s secret ingredient is Tomato!
Tomatoes are one of those beautifully colored red and orange foods that are full of lycopene. Just a reminder that lycopene is associated with lowering the risk for several types of cancer including skin, breast, cervical, lung and prostate. It also is known to lower the risk for macular degeneration. Don’t forget it helps lower the risk for coronary artery disease. It’s a good source for Vitamin C and both help to stimulate the immune system. If you want to get 2-8 more times the amount of lycopene, cook your tomatoes to release the carotenoid bound within the cell walls. Oh and lets not forget the iron, potassium, fiber, b vitamins and quercetin (a phytochemical that helps protects against cancer as well as heart and degenerative eye disease).
How to Buy
Look for plump tomatoes with tight skin and dark color. Oh and give them a sniff. You’ll want to find an earthy scent.
How to Store
Do not put those beautiful tomatoes into the refrigerator but into a nice bowl on your countertop or table. If you need them to ripen you can place them into a paper bag.
All of those good benefits I just shared on the lycopene in tomatoes will need fat to be used. Lycopene is fat-soluable so make sure you eat both raw and cooked tomatoes with a little fat. Think about Olive Oil for salads or coconut oils when cooking.
Last Week’s Favorite Links
Nom Yum & Free shared Mini Summer Squash and Baby Carrot Cupcakes
Gluten Free Happy Tummy shared Summer Squash Fries
The Tasty Alternative shared Garden Summer Pasta
Linking up Guidelines
- Share your own recipe using the Secret Ingredient. This must be your recipe, not copied from someone else. If you were inspired by another recipe you MUST ALWAYS note that in your recipe.
- Link the URL of your Specific Individual Recipe Post, NOT to your home page.
- Please link back to this post, not a static page so your readers can find the recipes here.
- When you link, please tell us what you’re sharing.
- This is a Gluten Free Resource so please make sure you share gluten free recipes.
- Recipes do not need to be brand new on your blog, just your own and contain the Secret Ingredient.
- There is no limit to how many times you can post on any given Secret Ingredient, just Link Back.
- Please use the FFF icon in your post and feel free to add it to your sidebar! Here’s the code: <a href=”http://www.thewholegang.org/” target=”_blank”><img src=”http://www.thewholegang.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/FFF-thewholegang.jpg” width=261 height=256 border=0></a>
Next Week’s Secret Ingredient for Friday Foodie Fix is … Carrots!
Now it’s your turn to share your gluten free recipes with tomatoes below.