You will also find each week there will be loads of information on that ingredient so even if you don’t have any recipes to share, you’ll gather some useful information.
Make sure you check back to see what recipes have been added.
This week’s secret ingredient is Cucumber.
I love the abundance of organic cucumbers in the summer. Cucumbers provide us with valuable antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer benefits. Cucumbers are a valuable source of conventional antioxidant nutrients including vitamin C, beta-carotene, and manganese.
How to Buy
Cucumbers are sensitive to heat so you’ll want to either find them in the cooler section at the store or if you get them at the farmer’s market you’ll want to cool them off when you bring them home. When choosing a cucumber they should be firm, rounded at their edges, and their color should be a bright medium to dark green
How to Store
Cucumbers should be stored in the refrigerator where they will keep for several days. If you have a leftover piece of cucumber, place it in a tightly sealed container or tight plastic wrap so that it does not become dried out. Best if used within a day or two.
I love to add cucumber to my morning juice. Combined with other anti-inflammatory foods it adds a very refreshing aspect to my Green Elixer of Life. If you don’t have a juicer yet you can still eat them for breakfast by slicing them and topping them off with eggs. Or add some spears to your jug of water and you’ll be drinking a lot more water.
Last Week’s Favorite Links
Gluten Free Cat shared Chocolate Zucchini Wake Up Smoothie
The Tasty Alternative shared Raw Pasta with Two Sauces
gluten free easily shared Cheesy Chicken Zucchini Bake
Linking up Guidelines
- Share your own recipe using the Secret Ingredient. This must be your recipe, not copied from someone else. If you were inspired by another recipe you MUST ALWAYS note that in your recipe.
- Link the URL of your Specific Individual Recipe Post, NOT to your home page.
- Please link back to this post, not a static page so your readers can find the recipes here.
- When you link, please tell us what you’re sharing.
- This is a Gluten Free Resource so please make sure you share gluten free recipes.
- Recipes do not need to be brand new on your blog, just your own and contain the Secret Ingredient.
- There is no limit to how many times you can post on any given Secret Ingredient, just Link Back.
- Please use the FFF icon in your post and feel free to add it to your sidebar! Here’s the code: <a href=”http://www.thewholegang.org/” target=”_blank”><img src=”http://www.thewholegang.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/FFF-thewholegang.jpg” width=261 height=256 border=0></a>
Next Week’s Secret Ingredient for Friday Foodie Fix is … Summer Squash!
Now it’s your turn to share your gluten free recipes with cucumbers below.