You will also find each week there will be loads of information on that ingredient so even if you don’t have any recipes to share, you’ll gather some useful information.
Make sure you check back to see what recipes have been added.
This week’s secret ingredient is Spring Onions.
Spring onions are one of my favorites probably because I’m so excited things are growing and being harvested in the northeast. Onions have their place in so many recipes. They contain fiber, folate, potassium as well as the flavonoid quercetin. This is an important phytonutrient that helps eliminate free radicals that can contribute to aging process, cancer, heart disease and eye degeneration. I’ve read that the quercetin absorbed from onions will stay in the body 24 hours. What a great way to build up those antioxidants!
How to Buy
I love to buy my spring onions at the farmers markets but the local grocery stores usually carry them too. You’ll want crisp color and texture with nice long stems. You should be able to find them in green or purple and both are delicious.
How to Store
I like to keep my spring onions in the refrigerator, away from other fruits and vegetables, until I’m ready to use which should be within the week. The closer you can eat your food from the time it was harvested the better it will taste.
If you’re looking for a really strong spring onion, look for ramps. These are often hard to find but if you ever get the chance, grab some.
Last Week’s Favorite Links
Gluten Free Gidget shared Indian Spiced Creamy Avocado Chickpeas
Tessa the Domestic Diva shared Creamy Berry Smoothie
Gluten Free Happy Tummy shared Vegan Chili Lime Tofu Stir Fry Pasta
Linking up Guidelines
- Share your own recipe using the Secret Ingredient. This must be your recipe, not copied from someone else. If you were inspired by another recipe you MUST ALWAYS note that in your recipe.
- Link the URL of your Specific Individual Recipe Post, NOT to your home page.
- Please link back to this post, not a static page so your readers can find the recipes here.
- When you link, please tell us what you’re sharing.
- This is a Gluten Free Resource so please make sure you share gluten free recipes.
- Recipes do not need to be brand new on your blog, just your own and contain the Secret Ingredient.
- There is no limit to how many times you can post on any given Secret Ingredient, just Link Back.
- Please use the FFF icon in your post and feel free to add it to your sidebar! Here’s the code: <a href=”http://www.thewholegang.org/” target=”_blank”><img src=”http://www.thewholegang.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/FFF-thewholegang.jpg” width=261 height=256 border=0></a>
Next Week’s Secret Ingredient for Friday Foodie Fix is … Blueberries!
Now it’s your turn to share your gluten free recipes with spring onions below.