What Are You Not Eating?

I’m curious with all of the options and so many foods available to us, what foods are you not eating?  Please take this one question poll and check off as many that apply to just you, not your whole family.

Thank you.  Now I’d love to know is this because you feel better eating this way, were you told to eat this way or is there another reason behind it.  Your input is appreciated so I can be sure to sort out my recipes according to your eating style and make it easy for you to find what you’re looking for.

Please feel free to share this poll.  I’d love to have as much input as possible.

36 Responses to What Are You Not Eating?

1. Wendy April 15, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

I eat gluten free because I have celiac. I eat dairy free (except cheese) because I have allergies. I try to avoid grains, but am not following a paleo diet, because most of the grain crops in the US (and Soy) are Genetically Modified and contribute to the contamination of the environment through excessive industrial agricultural techniques and corporate greed.

2. Falyn April 15, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

I have Celiac-so no gluten. Also allergic to citrus, coconut, aspartame, fish and shellfish

3. Lynne April 15, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

I eat gluten free because of celiac disease.

4. GF-er April 15, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

GF for celiac. Casein/lactose allergies. Peanut intolerance. Vegan by family raising/choice, so no meat, fish, shellfish, eggs. (works nicely into the casein/lactose thing too). Soy irritation (feel lousy when I eat it, suspected mild "issues"). Alcohol free by personal beliefs. No added sugar for health reasons. Thankfully almonds, cashews, etc. are okay. Basically, I eat lots of legumes (lentil, moong, etc.), fresh fruit/veggies, GF pseudo-grains (quinoa, garbanzo/fava flour, sorghum, millet, etc.)…. and that's it! Very simple, but I love finding ways to make it flavorful.

5. Susan April 15, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

GF and soy free for my Gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying). Part of my diet for symptom management is a low FODMAP diet of which eating GF and soy free is part of. What a difference it makes!

• Marci April 16, 2012 at 8:41 am #

My sister has Gastroparesis too!. I cannot get her to believe me that going GF will help her. The crazy food restrictions she is on is worse than a GF diet. She is the hospital now with severe stomach pains that the Dr.'s cannot figure out reason for. Any suggestions to give her or the Dr's??? lifenew2@yahoo.com.
      Marci

• Susan April 20, 2012 at 12:17 am #

I'll email you some handouts I have about diet and gastroparesis that have been really helpful for me. It'll be from septicsusan@hotmail.com so check your junk mail too! :)

• Heather April 16, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

My husband was told he had gastroparesis, then he was told he did not. In any case, what is a low FODMAP diet? I would like to look into this to see if it would help our situation!

Thank you in advance & blessings on your day!

• Susan April 20, 2012 at 12:16 am #

Heather,
        Here's a link to a website that talks about the low FODMAP diet and lists of foods to avoid: http://ibs.about.com/od/ibsfood/a/The-FODMAP-Diet

Basically, you're limiting your intake of fermentable carbs (sugars). With gastroparesis you already have food siting in your system longer than normal, so if you also are eating foods that are producing a lot of gas in your gut (fermenting), you end up in a lot of pain. By removing/limiting those foods in my diet I've found that I can do symptom management entirely through diet and without drugs. Of course you still need to main the basic food restrictions of gastroparesis by limiting fiber, fat, whole grains, and raw fruits and vegetables, but at least this helps show which cooked fruits and veggies are better options.

Hope that helps!
        Susan

6. pdw April 15, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

GF-er – you are pretty close to me. I am vegetarian, dairy free, grain free, don't drink. Also allergic to some nuts, dates, and a few other things. Thank goodness I am okay with legumes and pseudocereals!

7. Dawn April 16, 2012 at 7:22 am #

I am dairy free due to intolerance and eating gluten free resolves most of my IBS issues. I also avoid alcohol as the yeast is an issue. I have fatty liver so I also avoid fructose/high fructose/agave. I avoid soy as much as possible since my mother had breast cancer at a young age.

8. Roxana April 16, 2012 at 9:13 am #

Switched to a Paleo/Primal diet because that was the most comprehensive diet to address most of my health issues (PCOS, candida (which means I just say no to sugar, alcohol, & peanuts as they are susceptible to mold & soy due to estrogenic effect), gluten intolerance (perhaps Celiac but don't have health insurance to confirm), casein allergy which causes multiple sinus infections and general allergy symptoms, possible hypothyroid/adrenal issues manifesting itself as chronically feeling fatigued & sensitivity to temperature) The good news is that I have been able to lose weight and keep it off because I have no choice but to eat a simple diet of fresh unprocessed foods….and isn't that the way we were always meant to? :O)

9. Amber April 16, 2012 at 9:13 am #

Celiac, egg & dairy allergies. Also try to eat GMO-free, CAFO-free, organic, because that's the kind of world I want to see.

10. connie curtis April 16, 2012 at 10:33 am #

I eat gluten free because I am celiac. I eat dairy free and corn free because I am intolerant to those foods and I get sick if I eat them. I choose to be soy free because its not good for you in large amounts… I dont eat beans because i feel better if I dont and so does my husband… I have cut out rice for now to see if I have any reaction to it. If a food bothers me or seems not to work for me or my husband we dont eat it. Allegries he chooses to eat this way to eliminate allegries and his have gottten so much better. The whole prymarid was created by the govt.. we need to eat real food whatever we eat not the crap we have in stores.. it will have a healthy world and people

11. Maria M. April 16, 2012 at 11:27 am #

I eat gluten-/wheat-, dairy-, and egg-free due to my food allergies. I eat peanut, tree nut, and seafood-free so as to not cross-contaminate or trigger a reaction in my toddler who is anaphylactic to these as well as dairy and egg. I am alcohol free by choice. I am also allergic to corn, avocados, bananas, and I cannot tolerate oats (even certified gluten free) or white rice. Thanks!

12. Sherry April 16, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

GF due to Celiac, no cow's dairy due to sensitivity. Can have a small amount of sheep/manchego or goat cheese. Try to follow a 95% Paleo plan… can only tolerate a small amount of quinoa or millet once in awhile… very intolerant to all legumes… and some tree nuts. Basically, I just feel better and no bloating/cramping when eating lots of low starch veggies and grass fed meats. No nightshades either due to Fibro/inflammation and very low fructose foods due to Fructose Malabsorption – that means no to most fruits and some veggies.

13. Katie Bertino April 16, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

Gluten-free because I have Celiac and also because of the inflammatory nature of grains. If I didn't have to not eat wheat I would definately limit it anyway. I follow the Weston Price diet pretty much which emphasizes pasture-raised animal foods rich in nutrients. I feel great. high-energy all the time. Sleep great. Non-fermented soy a big no-no. Totally avoid it. Limited alcohol consumption because it doens't make me feel good and it's basically poison in our bods. Don't believe vegan diet is good long-term. On GAPS diet to heal gut completely and big on fermented/cultured foods. Hope survey goes well!

14. Jen April 16, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

I'm GF due to CD. The better question "What have you added?" I am a picky eater but have added so many things into my diet since going GF. The texture issues aren't going away and I'll never like fuzzy stone fruits, but there are numerous things I've added to my diet since going GF that were "icky" before. This sounds like a teenager but will be 40 next month.

15. Nannette April 16, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

Cured IBS for myself and 1 daughter going gluten-free. My other daughter has autism and was free of LOTS of things from a very young age (casein/glutein/soy/yeast) but needed to go SCD to fully heal from what I believe would be diagnosed as autistic enterocolitis. She's non-verbal, but made a 180 in gut health and behavior issues going SCD. The whole family (well, Mom, Dad & daughter with autism, because other daughter is now in college) are now eating Paleo and seeing huge benefits. Ridding legumes has helped my daughter with autism a lot, and my husband (who never thought he had any digestive issues) is fascinated by what a stomach feels like after having digested something healthy with no discomfort. All his life (part of my life, too) we thought discomfort/pain was just a part of the digestive process and extreme gas/reflux/heartburn, etc. was something everyone had to put up with. NO LONGER!!!! :-)

• emily June 25, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

I am about to start GF and low FODMAP for IBS I'm so glad that going GF helped you!

16. Kim April 16, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

I eat gluten free to help control my Rheumatoid Arthritis.

17. jess April 16, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

I am gluten free due to intolerance and the horrible digestive issues I experienced since I was a child. It makes me feel so much better. moving toward grain free but I love my gluten free oatmeal so I don’t know if that’s going to happen, but I eat bread rarely. I do drink mostly almond milk for preference but love my cheese and plain Greek yogurt, so again not going dairy free anytime soon.

18. sabakelaca April 16, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

I have celiac disease, lactose intolerance, gastritis and IBS. I am only able to tolerate 4 veggies at the moment.
    I can have food made with rice flour or corn flour however I cannot tolerate rice or corn. The only starches that I really eat are bread and corn pasta. I cannot tolerate tomatoes so I make all of my own sauces. I love the SCD but still need to modify most recipes. I am o.k. with nuts but cannot take them during the day as I work at a nut free school. Cannot tolerate legumes. Am going for more testing next month:)

19. dee mallett April 16, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

I am gluten free by choice this last year. My husband and I eat very little meat, but when we do, we eat grass fed beef local, free ranged local chicken and such. We eat only raw milk cheese, dear friends make and sell their cheeses, we purchase enough to freeze and use every few months.

We have a small pond and raise our own catfish to eat. We recently purchased our yearly fishing license to fish and stock our freezer. We are very careful when purchasing fish in the grocery store, as to where it is from..only purchasing from USA waters. Last fall my husband had a allergic reaction to shell fish. Put quite a scare into him. With this, we are even more concious as to what we are consuming. We have always thought we were eating good choices, but have changed alot of our eating habits even more.

We purchase local free range eggs from friends or nearby Amish. Through the years we grew all of our meat and produce. Since it is just my husband and I now, we don’t grow our own meat, but are looking to raising heritage chickens in the near future for eggs again.

I quit drinking cows milk about 8 months ago and use coconut milk for everything. No soy. I am currently looking to purchase goat’s milk, to drink and make my own yogurt. Presently we purchase goat milk yogurt.

My husband and I grow an 80 x 100 ft garden each year…starting all our own seed, being conscious to only use heirloom seeds, organic when heirloom are not available. We are seed savers.

It is so important to be concious of what you put into your/families bodies. We are nearly 100% processed food free. I believe in making all of our food from scratch, and have done so for the last 36 years.

20. Donna April 16, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

Celiac, allergic to casein, almonds cashews intolerant to corn, soy coconut. All in the past 2 years discovered the celiac the rest followed. Went grain free to help stop system from reacting ALL grains and grasses and legumes, in 3rd month. Def feel better w/o the grain intestinal tract runs the best it ever has. I also just got results of micro nutrient test (severely deficient in a lot of things) also did full panel ALCAT. Now I must cut even more eat paleo a few month in w/that test shows a lot of info so in an effort to heal will follow through cut more even spices (will be harder than it is now) but I want to heal the gut (have leaky gut syndrome) and regain some foods stop the rapid fire of things reacting with me including major inhalation issues of chemicals smell out in the world say malls. Bottom line my cooking has been an ever evolving think out of the box deal and well this will out it to the test. Will add a few legumes back that are okay with me also cut all processed sugar a while ago.

21. Christa April 16, 2012 at 8:48 pm #

My choices (gluten-free, dairy-free and alcohol-free) are because of both allergies and candida. For some of us, being allergic to alcohol means being sensitive to vinegar, too. I eat some pseudo-grains like millet, quinoa and buckwheat groats, but have to eat them sparingly to keep my blood sugar balanced. I am also allergic to sesame seeds and sunflower seeds…I wonder how many other readers are.

22. Michael Ervin April 17, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

We're dairy free because when my children have dairy, they turn into little monsters. J/K. They show all the signs and symptoms of ADHD when they have milk products in their life. I have a blog about it at nomoomilk.blogspot.com.

23. Gina April 17, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

I am gluten-free because I have a gluten intolerance. I don't know for sure whether or not I have Celiac Disease, but it's looking like I don't. Eating GF is essential for me to feel well. I love it, and doubt that I could ever go back to eating gluten!

24. Julie April 18, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

No SUGARS, GRAINS, STARCHES OR DAIRY – SCD – to maintain remission in Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's

25. Susan April 18, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

I've been vegan for several years now for health, environmental, and ethical reasons. I feel much better eating a plant-based whole foods oil-free diet. Discovered I may have gluten intolerance a few weeks ago and am already feeling a lot better on a gluten-free diet (despite the challenges of figuring out what to eat…I had NO IDEA how much stuff contains gluten!)

26. Bina April 19, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

I have been off gluten for two years plus, because of bellyache:ibs.

Much improved with gf diet.

My other problem is diverticulitis,which means i need a high fiber diet.

I’m suposed to aim for 25-30grs a day, which is difficult. I eat a lot of broccoli and beans,

But wish i could find a nice breakfast cereal that was both high fiber and gf.

Any suggestions? Quinoa not nearly high enough).

Also,i can’t eat nuts,seeds,or corn because of the divertic

27. Sandra Clark April 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

I eat gluten free because I have a gluten intolerance. I choose to eat low carb because its the only thing that helps me lose weight. I also drink raw milk and try to eat a traditional foods diet within low carb (ala Weston Price)

28. Tara April 19, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

Eating this way because of food allergies/intolerances AND it makes me feel better! Love your blog – thank you!

29. GiGiEatsCelebrities April 20, 2012 at 12:54 am #

sugar free for 10 years!!! and i avoid gluten, soy, nuts, dairy & alcohol!

30. Emily June 25, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

I have IBS and have discovered that I need to be on the FODMAP diet. Pretty much Gluten. Lactose, and most sugars.

31. Marie July 6, 2012 at 12:34 am #

Problem is it I have Celiac, Candida, and IBD — so eating anything including veggies can be painful as well as meat to the IBD — and cause issues; joints, abdomen, colon, intestines, inflamed bladder, fatigue, nausea… No soy or nightshades as well. Darn hard to find any blog or any person who suffers the same. I go this round every three months since breast cancer surgery. Trying to cobble together my own diet, movement and wholeness.

I can eat shellfish, a wee bit of dairy like plain yogurt or an ounce of cheese that hasn't been aged. A handful of raw almonds. The omission of nightshades seems to throw some off