This is the time of year you want to head to the farmers market to buy your tomatoes. Vine ripened, organic, juicy and delicious is what you will find. With more than a thousand varieties I hope you find one you like. There are deep red, vivid orange to even dark purple. I’d like to find some of the purple ones. I’m really hooked on the orange ones right now. Super sweet. If you have not figured it out yet, tomatoes are this week’s Friday Foodie Fix Secret Ingredient.
Here is your quiz for the day. See how many you get right. Answers at the bottom. If I could figure out how to turn them upside down I would but I’m not that talented.
- Are tomatoes fruits or vegetables? fruit or vegetable
- How do you get your vitamin E from tomatoes? Eat them cooked or raw?
- Tomatoes are full of lycopene, a naturally occurring antioxidant? Yes or No
- Tomatoes are part of the night shade family? Yes or No
- Store your tomatoes in the refrigerator? Yes or No
- If bruised or dropped, tomatoes lose significant amounts of nutrients? Yes or No
So how did you do? If you got 4 or more right you are a tomato expert. Way to go! If you got 3 or less you better go buy some tomatoes.
Next week’s Secret Ingredient is …………………Corn!
Answers to quiz:
5. no, they will lose their taste