I found this creative post on Rose Round the Door. They have created a list of situations that you will totally relate to if you are gluten intolerant like me or have Celiac Disease. How many of these do you relate to on daily basis? What could you add to the list?
Here are a few that had me in tears:
YOU KNOW YOU HAVE CELIAC DISEASE:
* if you actually have nightmares about reading labels.
* if you know that Xantham Gum is not for chewing.
* if you know that spelt is a distant cousin of wheat, but buckwheat is not related to wheat at all.
* if you've brought a suitcase full of food with you on a cruise.
* if it takes you 4 hours to grocery shop and your eyesight is ruined.
* if it drives you crazy when someone says they completely understand your diet, they did Atkins.
* if people roll their eyes at you when you say "no thank you" to someone's gluten filled dessert
* if you talk about your disease (not the unpleasant parts) so much to your friends and acquaintances that your husband tells you you need to get another hobby
* if you take a list of safe drinks to the bar with you. And actually consult it before you order a drink.
* if you see someone buying rice flour in the bulk section and you just have to ask them if they are gluten intolerant too!
You can read the entire list here. So what would you like to add to this list? Leave yours here by clicking on comments.
Here are a few items I would add to the list:
- if you cook and pack your entire Thanksgiving meal to travel with you 8 hours in the car.
- if you ask friends to meet you for a walk instead of lunch.
- if you make everything you eat from scratch including your stocks and ketchup.
- if you interrogate the wait staff and chef when you eat out.
- if you go to every local grocery store you can find looking for a new vegetable you recently had like Salsify.
- if you only pick restaurants that will prepare a safe meal.